Marriage Licenses


Office of Judy Ridgeway
Cole County Recorder of Deeds
311 E. High Street
(Room 101 of the Cole County Courthouse Annex)
Jefferson City, MO 65101

How to apply

Both parties must appear TOGETHER at the Recorder of Deeds office.  You will need the following:

  • Valid government issued photo ID    
  • Provide Social Security number    
  • Date and location of the marriage ceremony    
  • Name of officiant solemnizing the marriage    
  • Fee of $51 is due at the time of application. Cash, check or credit card accepted. ($2 additional Bank fee for credit card)

*If Either Party is unable to appear in the Recorder’s Office to apply, due to Military Service, ADA Qualifying Disability or Incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Application maybe be provided.


  • Civil ceremonies are performed by Cole County Circuit Judge Div. III, Honorable Cotton Walker
  • To schedule your Cole County Courthouse Civil ceremony, please call: 573-634-9115
  • As of right now the courthouse will be allowing 2 guests per couplewith exceptions for young children or parents of the couple. Photos can be taken outside the Courthouse or elsewhere after the brief ceremony with as many people as desired.

when to apply

  • Office hours are 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday except legal holidays and the application process takes about 30 minutes.
  • Applicants should come to the Recorders office to start or complete the application process.
  • NOTE: Application can be made 6 months prior to date of ceremony.

When to pick-up

  • Either party may return to pick up the license.
  • License is available for pick-up the week of the marriage.
  • The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issue and may be used anywhere within the state of Missouri.

what to do with the license

You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage.  The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Cole County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days of the ceremony.


  • Blood relatives, down to and including first cousins, MAY NOT marry under the laws of the State of Missouri.
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent.
  • A male or female age 21 or older MAY NOT marry a male or female under 18 years of age.
  • Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended.  Divorced individuals may not apply until their divorce has been final for a minimum of 30 days.


Identification and proof of age is required of all persons. The following documents will be accepted:


  • Valid Driver’s License OR official State Identification OR Passport.
  • AND provide Social Security Number


  • Birth Certificate (Legal, Certified)
  • AND custodial parent to give consent*


  • Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of their custodial parent.  Parents must give consent in person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
  • Proper identification for consenting parents is a valid driver’s license or passport, and if divorced, court papers to prove custody.


Proof of your marriage (after the return of your license) is available upon request through the Recorder of Deeds Office.    

  • Request can be made in person, mail or phone (credit card required if requesting by phone).
  • We do offer a FORM for filling out if mailing in a request.
  • When calling or showing up in person, please have name of parties ready and date of ceremony.
  • Cost is $9 per certified copy.  Cash, check or credit card accepted ($2 additional bank fee for credit/debit card).
  • There is no charge for a certified copy if for military purposes.