Birth & Death Certificates
Birth & Death Certificate Hours
Monday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
You may obtain a birth certificate for yourself or a family member if you were born anywhere in the state of Missouri after 1920. The fee is $15 each; all forms of payment accepted.
You may obtain a death certificate if the deceased passed away anywhere in Missouri after 1980. The fee is $13 for the first copy, $10 for additional copies obtained at that time. All forms of payment accepted.
How to Obtain Certificates
- In person - Same day service is available to walk-in customers. Complete an application and pay the required fee by cash, check, or money order. Applicants must show identification when requesting certified copies of a vital record.
- By Mail - Certificates can be obtained through the mail and are normally sent out the same day that applications are received. Mail-in requests must be notarized by an acceptable Notary Public.
Please mail your completed application/request form for birth or death certification along with a stamped self-addressed envelope, and a check or money order (payable to Cole County Health Department) to:
Cole County Health Department
3400 W Truman Blvd.
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Acceptable Forms of Identification
One (1) document is required:
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant’s name, photograph, and date of school year
- A current U.S. military identification card that includes a photograph
- A state issued driver’s license that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A U.S. passport with current photograph
- Work identification card that includes the applicant’s name, photograph, and company name
Alternate Forms of Identification Documents
At least two (2) alternate forms of identification documents must be used if applicant does not have a picture identification card when applying in person. Alternate documents must display name of applicant, may display date of birth, date of issuance (or year), must display institution, company or organization/agency name. Letter from government or social agencies:
- A payroll stub that includes a Social Security number of applicant (cannot be handwritten stubs)
- A W-2 form issued within last year in addition to a signed Social Security card (social security numbers must match)
- Cancelled duplicate check (must show name, address, signature, and name of institution)
- Certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Court certified adoption papers that includes adopted parent(s) name
- Insurance policy (health, home, life, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare document or identification card
- Military discharge document (DD-214)
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- Proof of auto insurance
- School yearbook
- Shelter name band (including name of shelter)
- Social Security card or Social Security printout (print out of an applicant’s Social Security account of activities)
- Utility bills which shows name and address of applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)