Birth & Death Certificates
Birth & Death Certificate Hours
Monday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Tuesday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Wednesday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Friday: 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
You may obtain a birth certificate for yourself or a family member if you were born anywhere in the state of Missouri after 1920. The fee is $15 each; all forms of payment accepted.
Effective August 28, 2020, with the Governor’s recent signing of HB 2046 (PDF), the fee collected for each death certificate will increase by $1.00 to $14.00 for the first certified copy. The fee for each additional certified copy, ordered at the same time, will also increase by $1.00 to $11.00.
You may obtain a death certificate if the deceased passed away anywhere in Missouri after 1980. All forms of payment accepted.
How to Obtain Certificates
- In person - Same day service is available to walk-in customers. Complete an application and pay the required fee by cash, check, or money order. Applicants must show identification when requesting certified copies of a vital record.
- By Mail - Certificates can be obtained through the mail and are normally sent out the same day that applications are received. Mail-in requests must be notarized by an acceptable Notary Public.
- Online & Phone via VitalChek - Call VitalChek at 1-877-817-7363, toll free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or order online now through VitalChek. Documents can be requested by phone or online and charged to a major credit card. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service. To further expedite the request, overnight delivery service is available.
VitalChek is an authorized resource for official, government-issued online vital records ordering powered by Lexis-Nexis. Once an order is placed through VitalChek, the order request is routed to the Bureau of Vital Records in Jefferson City or a regionally approved vital records office for fulfillment. VitalChek does not have access to vital records nor possess the ability to alter a vital record.
- Out of State - For certificates issued from states other than Missouri, please visit: Who to Contact for Vital Records Outside of Missouri.
If applicable, tangible interest documents or signed notarized statement authorizing release of record should be included with the application.
If a family member is requesting a record for another family member, additional documentation or information may be required if the applicant’s link to the requested record cannot be established.
Please mail your completed application/request form for birth or death certification along with a stamped self-addressed envelope, and a check or money order (payable to Cole County Health Department) to:
Cole County Health Department
3400 W Truman Blvd.
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Acceptable Forms of Identification
One (1) document is required:
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant’s name, photograph, and date of school year
- A current U.S. military identification card that includes a photograph
- A state issued driver’s license that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A U.S. passport with current photograph
- Work identification card that includes the applicant’s name, photograph, and company name
Alternate Forms of Identification Documents
At least two (2) alternate forms of identification documents must be used if applicant does not have a picture identification card when applying in person. Alternate documents must display name of applicant, may display date of birth, date of issuance (or year), must display institution, company or organization/agency name.
- Letter from government or social agencies
- W-2 form issued within last year in addition to signed Social Security care (Social security numbers must match
- Social Security card or Social Security numident printout (print out of an applicant’s Social Security account of activities)
- Court certified adoption papers that includes adopted parent(s) name
- Official certified deed or title to property
- Certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Proof of auto insurance
- Insurance policy (health, home, life, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare documents or identification card
- A payroll stub that includes a Social Security number of applicant (cannot be handwritten stubs)
- Military discharge document (DD-214)
- Utility bills which shows name and address of applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)
- Shelter name ban (including name of shelter)