Business 50 West was originally constructed as Highway 50 by the State Highway Department in the late 1920’s as a replacement to Missouri Route 1. The road served as Highway 50 until the mid-1980’s when the current dual lane Highway 50 was constructed as bypass of the Apache Flats area. The area saw continued growth and in the early 1990’s the Cole County Public Works Department widened the road to three lanes in order to add a center turn lane. The area has grown tremendously since then and there was a growing need for an updated roadway complete with curb and gutter; new pavement; drainage inlets and sidewalks. The improvements will be compatible with development that will continue to occur and will serve the area for many years.
Funding for this project came from the County’s 1/2-Cent Sales Tax for Capital Improvements. Infrastructure improvements such as this project and other projects in the County are heavily dependent upon this funding source and are vital for the economic development and growth of the community.