Where to Apply
Office of Judy Ridgeway
Recorder of Deeds
311 E High Street
(Room 101 of the Cole County Courthouse Annex)
Jefferson City, MO 65101
How and When to Apply
Both parties must appear together at the Recorder's Office no later than 3:30 p.m. with proper identification in order to apply for a marriage license. Allow approximately 15 minutes to complete the application process. State statute no longer requires applicants to wait 3 days before the Recorder can issue the license.
Note: In order to have time to do the marriage license paper work before the office closes at 4:30 pm, couples are requested to be in the Recorder’s office on or before 3:30 pm.
- Blood relatives, down to and including 1st cousins, may not marry under the laws of the State of Missouri.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age (male or female) to marry without parental consent. Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of their custodial parent. Parents must give consent in person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
- Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. A Male or Female age 21 or older may not marry a Male or Female under 18 years of age.
- There is no blood test.
Identification and proof of age is required of ALL persons. The following documents will be accepted.
Age 18 & Over
- Social Security number - you must provide proof of your Social Security # to obtain a marriage license. (SS# Card or W2 form)
- In Addition, show us 1 of the options from the list below: (must have a photo ID)
Valid Drivers License
Official State Identification
Age 16 - 17
- Birth Certificate (Legal, Certified)
- Custodial parent to give consent
- Driver's License and Social Security number (If divorced, court papers to prove custody)
Non U.S. Residents
- Valid Passport
Additional Information Requested From Applicants
- The date of the marriage ceremony
- The location of the marriage ceremony
- The name of the individual(s) solemnizing the marriage
When to Pick Up the License
- Either the bride or groom may return the week of the wedding to pick up the license.
- The marriage license is valid for fifteen (15) days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere within the state of Missouri.
- The license can be paid for in cash, check or credit card.
- The fee is currently $51. This fee is paid at the time the application is made. ($2.00 additional fee if using a credit card)
What to Do With the License
You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage. The officiator must complete the bottom portion of the license, then return it to the Recorder's Office, in the envelope provided, within 15 days after the wedding. The license then remains on file permanently in the Cole County Recorder of Deeds office.
Obtaining Proof of Marriage
Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person or by mail (after the return of your license). Please include the following with your request:
- $9 fee for each certified copy
- Date of marriage
- Names of the bride and groom at the time of application
Cole County Recorder of Deeds
311 E High
Jefferson City, MO 65101